Commercial yeast are of two types - Compressed yeast and Dry yeast
Compressed yeast - These can be further calssified as
- Breweries yeast - It acts on malt to give alcohol and carbon dioxide.
- Distillers yeast- It acts on molasses to give alcohol and carbon dioxide .
- Bakers yeast - It acts on sugar to produce carbon dioxide and alcohol. Carbon dioxide is the main by product.
Other features of compressed yeast
- Its available in cake form
- Its cheaper than dry yeast
- Moisture content is 80%
- Life of compressed yeast is 5 days
- Cell usage is 90-95%
- Its costlier than Compressed yeast
- Its is available in powder form
- Moisture is around 5%
- Life of dry yeast is more than one year
- Cell usage around 60%