Conventional method which most of the bakeries still use is to provide wash basins near to working areas with potassium permanganate solution to wash their hands in frequent intervals .
PVC thin clear transparent disposable gloves
These gloves are preferred gloves for food handlers as its cheap in comparison to latex or vinyl gloves .Even while wearing these gloves workers should be trained to switch over to new pairs in case of damage or high perspiration in hands .One has to wash his hands and use dryer before putting up new gloves . These types of gloves are mostly used where glove changing is frequently required .
Latex disposable gloves
These gloves are required for handling of hot objects such hot cookies while at baking section or removing defective biscuits from oven or depaning operations , oven loading or unloading in bakery manufacturing process.Its also used in area where workers have to handle chemicals .Latex gloves are costlier than PVC poly gloves hence it is used only where you cannot replace it withpvc poly gloves.These have to be washed and sanitised for multiple use .These gloves could sometimes results in rashes and itching.
Guidelines for Gloves
- Wash hands properly before and after wearing or changing to a new pair of gloves
- Use gloves that fit properly and that are designed for the task at hand
- Change gloves whenever tasks change or whenever an employee leaves his/her workstation
- Sneezing, coughing or touching one's hair or face with a gloved hand all require hand washing and a new pair of gloves
- Because perspiration and bacteria buildup under gloves, wash hands and switch to a fresh pair periodically
Few experts are of the view that gloves are as harmful as manual contact . These gloves develops pinholes when damaged which may not be visible by naked eyes , this may then results in bacterial contamination of hands.Workers never remove these gloves as often as required.Expert still believes the conventional method of hand washing to gloves