Main role of emulsifiers in dough mixing are
- Increased mixing and machine tolerance
- Increased tolerance to variation in ingredients
- Diminished knock downs during handling
- Assit in maximum absorption of water .
Role played in different bakery products are as following
Bread - Interaction among proteins and starch complexing
Biscuits and Cookies - Fat Emulsification
Cakes and wafers - Modification of texture ,fat crystallization ,improvement of foaming and aeration properties .
These emulsifiers are labelled as E numbers on the bakery product packaging . These numbers signify the categories and approval by EU food standards .
Major emulsifiers used in bakery products are
- GMS ( glyceryl mono sterate ) paste or Powder
- SSL ( sodium stearoyl lactylate)
- CSL( calcium stearoyl lactate)